Pages

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Nonnie & the Beautiful Quilt

Look what came in the mail yesterday. For me. Made for me by my big sister who I've called Nonnie since we were babies (her name is Sandi). This is my red headed sister (if I had more time I'd dig out my favorite picture of her when she was about 25 and her hair was the glorious color of new copper; what a beautiful sight that was.) But I digress. We'll talk about how much I love red hair some other time.

Count the little pieces. I am humbled by the sweet patience of this woman who is as busy as anyone. Life has tempered her and tested her and made her thoughtful and kind. She is my seeser. And oh, how I love her.

Just a little bit of family resemblance there - see what I mean? When I visit her we like to sneak off for coffee and wicked rich desserts. We talk about food, art, clothes, memories, childhood, our kids, our parents, our rich history together.

This is my Nonnie as a young child. The picture was touched up by someone with a dreadful sense of color but I left it. Taken back in the 40's before most of my readers were born I'll bet. We probably lived in Moline, Illinois at that time.

Here is my mother and father with their precious red haired daughter. Judging by my sister's age in this picture I think there may have been a bun in the oven - me!! I have several pictures of my parents that I adore and this is one of them. They had a good marriage and set a good example for us. They weren't perfect and no one is. But they did a very good job and I'm glad they were mine.

Did my seeser stop at one quilt? Non, mes amis, she sent a little lap quilt to hang on the wall or for cold evenings by the fire.

Thank you Sandi, for sharing all my memories; for knowing where the bodies are buried, for being my protector and safe place and especially today for making these quilts for me. And here's to sister love everywhere. How much of home lies in this special blood-bond relationship. Call your sister and tell her you love her. And Sue! Little-sister Sue! I love you too!

19 comments:

Stephanie Lee said...

Oh how I love evidence of familial love like this!!! A cover of warmth and love in so many ways.
I just called my sister. She was surprised. I guess I don't do it enough. :)

And that picture of YOUR sister?!?!...look at those eyes! Thos same, smiling Judy eyes!!! I love it!

See you and John soon. I might have stars in my eyes when I meet him. Please don't let me drool and stutter.....

dogfaeriex5 said...

oh my how i love quilts, old, new, raggety, bits and pieces..they calm the soul and always remind me of my babaa...just beautiful work!!
xo~kim

Kim Mailhot said...

Here's to wonderful sister love ! I have two myself and the three of us are the white witches together. They don't sew me pieces of art but they do love me in many other magical ways !
Enjoy the love quilts for they will surely keep your heart warm !

Pilar said...

Your sister rocks! The detail of the quilting and piecing is amazing. I see talent runs in the family!xoxoxoxo

DS Borror said...

what a lovely tribute from both of you to one another....what lucky girls. i love the quilts the pink in particular is so happy.

Meri said...

Precious - both the sister and her handiwork. The other sister too. I always wanted a sister, but had to adopt my own.

Sharon P Pope said...

WOW! These quilts are just gorgeous, Judy. Nonnie did a wonderful job on them. I love the colors and shapes in them. You are lucky to have sisters. I am an only child. :)

I love red hair too. An older cousin whom I idolized as a child had red hair and so did my grandmother. I wanted red hair too. It tends to show up in my doodle drawing characters a lot. :)

Candace said...

Thank you. Thank you. And thank you. Quilts, how I love them. And sisters? How I love her.
I am off to call Thister (Cynthia -- so I wasn't far off from her name, either).
Beautiful photos of everything and everyone. What a handsome family.
And again, from the bottom of my baby sister heart, thank you.
Candace x

Joanie Hoffman said...

What beautiful quilts and sisters!
My sister, Jeanie, is beyond precious to me. And I'm one of the few allowed to call her Jean.
We talk on the phone for an hour before I leave to come to her house, like we're not gonna see each other in 30 mintues!
Thanks for all the pictures.
Happy days,
Joanie

femminismo said...

Judy, what great advice. I'm calling my sisters today for sure. The photo of your parents and sister is wonderful. Could they have had a cuter child? Doubtful! The poorest person, to me, is one without good memories of a loving family. Nothing is more precious! - Jeanne (and the quilts!?! gorgeous!)

anna maria said...

Amazing quilts and sweet photos!

katie said...

what beautiful gifts, from your SeeSter, ahhhhhh!!! and quilts, maybe because you can cuddle up with them, seem especially precious when made by a loved one. she certainly does have the judy twinkle in her eyes :-)

you and john have a safe and very fun trip (road trip - YeeHa!!)and a beautiful time in asilimar...i will be thinking of you all with love. xoxoxo

Peshe said...

thanx. i love quilts. and its great seeing them being used instead of shown.

i'm gonna pullout the quilt i made for my mom. i use it in the summer. and remember....

Kim Rae Nugent said...

What beautiful quilts! Lucky you! And I can certainly see you in your Mother. Yes I too feel fortunate to have a sister.

Anonymous said...

Wow Judy that's beautiful! I I would say your sister is the best!

Anonymous said...

What lovely quilts!!!

Lynn Cohen said...

Beautiful quilts from a lovely sister. Fun reading about her and you and family. I'm one of your readers born in the early 40's so know the period well. Well, what I can remember of it. LOL

Cindy Ericsson said...

I love a piece of art you can snuggle with! What a wonderful gift your sister must be to you, and what attractive parents you have! Your sister's work is beautiful -- thanks for posting it here.

Lawendula said...

Beautiful, I really love Quilts. Wish I could buy one...
Thank you for this wonderful post.