Pages

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Katie's Feminine Icon Workshop

This is one of the images I created in Katie's class at Diane's all day retreat. It was a wonderful day with a room full of spirited women. The atmosphere at this workshop was unique; perhaps because of the subject matter these women seemed unusually sympatico and enthusiastic. The work they produced was incredible; I didn't get photographs of their creations because I was trying to stay out of Katie's limelight (oh, yes, good try Judy, you big loud art smartie pants you!). I am hoping either Katie or Diane will post work on their sites for you to appreciate.

This is a second image I created. So now I will take you through the weekend with me and share our experience from my point of view. Beginning with Friday night when I arrived arm in arm with Katie. Diane had the libations all lined up for us.

Diane was chopping up a stack of mangos when we arrived, making the mango chutney for our noon meal on the following day. To the mangos she added chopped ginger, garlic, golden raisins, cider vinegar and 20 minutes over the flame. Oh my mama mia was that ever awesome with curried rice. But I'm getting ahead of myself. We were up into the wee hours catching up and sharing. Awesome good time.

After a night on Diane's featherbed with the down comforter I was greeted with this plate of oatmeal dressed with bananas, blueberries and walnuts. Yes, it was soooo good.

Katie was meanwhile out in the studio preparing for the arrival of her class. She was wearing these charming knitted slippers. She is a gal who knows a thing or two about shoes. Thought you'd like to see them too. Doesn't she look surprised in this next shot? Hee hee, she was.

Soon she had us all slaving away over our projects. Gel, paint, sandpaper, gesso, oil pastels and more. She showed us how to let go, to live in our right hemisphere and to follow our intuition. She has little tricks and they work. Every time we visit I learn more from her about letting go. She's done her homework and she can teach what she knows.

Following a morning of high energy work the studio is deserted for the banquet table Diane has prepared for us. Yum yum. What will we have?

(Quiet scene of chaos in the studio during lunch break.)

Rice Banquet! Curried rice (very mild) with dozens of bowls of toppings and greens. Very healthy, good for people counting calories, good for people not counting calories and for dessert a coconut cake. Oh, and chocolate. I ate more chocolate this weekend than I do in a month at home.

After lunch we continued to work on our projects and at the end of the day we gathered again to share our thoughts and intentions. It was so good. I got so much out of the workshop. Katie is such a skillful teacher and she showed me ways to work that I had never experienced before.

This is a quiet corner of Diane's studio that I love. The log cabin quilt is one of dozens she has made. The sofa is set in a little window nook in a quiet area; I wonder if she occasionally curls up under the blanket with a good book and just relaxes there. I know I would. I bet Simon her cat does too.

The last photograph was taken this morning. Good strong lattes to get the conversational ball rolling again as we shared ideas for future gatherings and art making getaways. Diane has a house at the beach that she is considering letting out for art retreats for one thing. One of the women who came to the workshop yesterday spoke with excitement about holding art gatherings in her studio in Boise, Idaho. We laughed about sowing the seeds of art love all over the place; of countering the bad mean people with our joyful spirits until they just lay down their war games and learn how to play nice. Pray for this if you have a kind soul. That we can some day soon learn to cooperate and celebrate each other and live in harmony.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh, it sounds so wonderful. I am so very happy for all of you! What a perfect way to spend a weekend. xo

Pam Aries said...

heaven! It sounds like Art Heaven! I can feel the energy from here! I just left katie's site and she has some great pics!

Sharon Tomlinson said...

Hi Judy, your weekend sounds or rather I should say looks like it was absolutely wonderful. I love the pieces that you did at the retreat. I so love your journal style shown in your 100th post. It amazes me.
Today I'v written in my little inspiration journal two quotes from your post. "Like my Mother before me" and "if wishes were fishes" I like them both and wanted to remember.
Sharon@norah'S

Anonymous said...

So fun...! Thank you for giving us such a detailed account, both visually and verbally. It makes me almost feel as if I were there. LOVE the backgrouds especially!

www.carlasonheim.wordpress.com

DJ said...

Oh Judy, I loved seeing and hearing all about the weekend! I just wrote to Katie and told her that I had been thinking of her all weekend and wishing I could have been there. Isn't she just wonderful?

dogfaeriex5 said...

TOTALLY FRIGGIN' AWESOME!!!!!
AND I AM TOTALLY JEALOUS, BEAUTIFUL ART WAS CREATED!!
XOXO~K

Anonymous said...

wow...what an amazing workshop. I would love to take part in something like that. Being an artist can be isolating. This sounds lovely; beautiful art created, friends made and great food eaten.

Anonymous said...

What a joy to read about and see glimpses of your weekend -- sounds like a perfect art retreat, small and intimate, lots of creative energy (and good food!). Thanks for sharing!

Pam Aries said...

I just saw your art on the cover of Natural Awakenings for this month! Cool! I was in my Chiropractor's office when I saw the cover and I thought."THat art looks familiar..like Judy Wise.." Sure enough! THe magazine is published here in Charleston.SC!!!

Holly Loves Art said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Holly Loves Art said...

Thank you for sharing, Judy. It sounds like such a lovely time. I gasped when I saw the first piece that you created. It is so gorgeous!

Jill Beninato said...

What amazing art you created...I love the rich, dark colors that almost seem to glow...I am also going to have to try the mango chutney over rice, yum! Thanks for sharing your experience, you are lucky to live in an area where there are so many great workshops with interesting artists...

Paulette Insall ~ Reflecting Colors of the Soul said...

I so wanted to take Katie's class, but just couldn't afford it right now. It looks like it was just as wonderful as I thought it would be. One of my biggest things I struggle with in my art is just letting go and letting the art just happen. I hope she will teach again here in Portland sometime this year.

You created some amazing, beautiful pieces in her class! Bravo! Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us.